Need Help? Ask Us!

Child visa (subclass 802)

This is a permanent residence visa. It allows the child to:
  • stay in Australia indefinitely
  • work and study in Australia
  • enrol in Australia's public healthcare scheme, Medicare
  • sponsor relatives to come to Australia
  • apply for Australian citizenship, if eligible
The child must be a dependent child of a parent who is an Australian citizen, eligible New Zealand citizen or holder of an Australian permanent visa.The child must be under 18 years, a full-time student aged 18 to 25, or over 18 and unable to work due to a disability and be single and dependent on the parent.For this visa the child must be in Australia when the application is made and when we make our decision.
The child must be dependent on their parent. They can be their parent's:
biological child
adopted child
Adopted children
If the child was adopted after their parent became an Australian citizen, Australian permanent visa holder or eligible New Zealand citizen, they must have been adopted:
through an intercountry adoption with the involvement of an Australian state or territory central authority, or
through an intercountry adoption by arrangement between two countries (other than Australia) that are parties to the Hague Convention on the Protection of Children and Cooperation in Respect of Intercountry Adoption (the Hague Adoption Convention), or if no Australian state or territory central authority was involved, through an expatriate adoption by an Australian citizen, an eligible New Zealand citizen or the holder of an Australian permanent visa who has been living outside Australia for more than 12 months before the adoption was finalised.
To be eligible for this visa, a stepchild must:
be the child of their parent’s former partner
be aged under 18
The step-parent must also have either:
an Australian parenting order in force that says the child is to live with them and be looked after by them, or
guardianship or custody of the child under an Australian law or the law of another country.



For more information, please contact us